Wednesday, June 20, 2012

CORPSE FLOWER AT FRANKLIN PARK ZOO

Obviously, I have not posted an entry on this blog since last September. What happened? Who knows? I guess I got busy, got distracted, got tired . . .

Well, I'm going to post just this brief note today, not so much to jumpstart this dormant blog but rather to see if there are any wrinkles involved with writing and posting from an iPad. If this works without too many complications, then I just might start blogging regularly again.

For today . . . well, this morning my eldest daughter and I took a quick field trip to Franklin Park Zoo to take a look--and a sniff--at the blooming corpse flower on display there. A native of the island of Sumatra (where our coffee bean of choice also hails from!), it blooms just once every seven years--it opened up at 9:00 last night . . . and at 8:00 this morning the Zoo opened its gates for anyone wishing to have a few moments with this botanical phenomenon. There were already more than a hundred people in the line ahead of us when we arrived around 8:10 and a couple of hundred behind us by the time we left at 8:50. We had been warned that the plant might emit a strong odor reminiscent of rotting flesh--I suppose there was an unpleasant whiff, but nothing as noxious as I anticipated. I might not want to start every morning this way, but we enjoyed being up and out with the crowd . . .

Oh, by the way, the Zoo has named the plant Morticia after a character in the Addams family . . .




















PS: I have discovered that photos cannot be uploaded from iPad.  That's a pain in the . . . neck.  I had to upload this one by editing the post on my computer . . .

No comments: